If you are in a leadership position, this is a must read. Cockerell started his career in the US Army. He worked his way through multiple hotel chains in the kitchen and other duties. Eventually he came to run one of the largest movie, theme parks and over all entertainment companies in the world..... Well not running the entire thing but the hospitality side and general operations.
Cockerell goes over 10 common sense leadership strategies every leader should follow.
1. Remember, everyone is important. (e.g. Make yourself available, know everyone on your team).
2. Break the mold. (e.g. Be clear who is responsible for what).
3. Make your people your brand.
4. Create magic through training.
5. Eliminate hassels (e.g. Try an audit exchange program)
6. Learn the truth (e.g. get a ground level view).
7. Burn the free fuel (e.g. Spend time with employees, catch them doing something right and make it public.
8. Stay ahead of the pack.
9. Be careful what you say and do.
10. Develop Character
This book changed my management style. I was more sympathetic for my team. I learned that leadership does not require you to tell people what your title is. I taught me to listen to my people and truly try to understand them.
I can only hope that I am able to attend the Walt Disney Institute of leadership.
Hardcover: 270 pages
Publisher: Crown Business; 1 edition (October 14, 2008)